It’s no small wonder that this salad, developed by Laura McAllister, won first prize in VT‘s 2007 Reader Recipe Contest and has continued to win over readers ever since: the perfect combination of basic ingredients makes for a salad that’s delicious as a light lunch or hearty dinner side dish.
|Add ingredients to “My Shopping List”|
- 2 14–oz. cans black–eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely minced (2 Tbs.)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 avocado, cubed (1 cup)
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. vegan Szechuan sauce
- 2 tsp. sugar
1. Toss together black-eyed peas, bell pepper, onion, jalapeño, and garlic in large bowl. Toss avocado with lemon juice in separate bowl. Add avocado to black-eyed pea mixture.
2. Whisk together oil, vinegar, Szechuan sauce, and sugar in bowl used for avocado. Add black-eyed pea mixture, and toss to mix.