What started out as a way to incorporate heart-healthy foods into a dessert has turned into a sweet sensation. Readers continue to write in about how much they love this recipe from last February. It”s everything a chocolate chip cookie should be, only without all the butter, eggs, and white flour.
|Add ingredients to “My Shopping List”|
Makes 30 cookies
- 2 cups walnuts
- 3 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 3.5-oz. bars bittersweet vegan chocolate, chopped, or 1 1/2 cups (12 oz.) vegan chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. Blend walnuts in food processor 30 seconds, or until ground into fine meal. Add oil, and blend 2 to 3 minutes more, or until mixture has consistency of natural peanut butter. Transfer to bowl.
3. Whisk together brown sugar and ı/2 cup water in saucepan, and bring to a boil. Pour brown sugar mixture over walnut butter, add vanilla extract, and stir until no lumps remain.
4. Whisk together oat flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in separate bowl. Stir oat flour mixture into walnut mixture. Cool dough 10 minutes.
5. Fold oats, then chocolate chips into dough. Shape into 2-inch balls, and place on prepared baking sheets. Flatten cookies with bottom of drinking glass dipped in water. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown. Cool 3 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.