Coconut adds a sweet touch, and cumin a dash of spice (plus antioxidants), to a dish loaded with heart-healthy fiber.
- 1 cup(s) lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cupvegi broth
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) cumin seeds
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup(s) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 large (10-ounce) Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 6 ounce(s) baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- In 2-quart saucepan, combine lentils, broth, and 1 cup water. Heat to boiling on high. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in deep 12-inch skillet, heat oil on medium until hot. Add cumin seeds and cook 15 to 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring. Add shallots and coconut; cook 3 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in potatoes and cook 2 minutes. Carefully pour lentil mixture into skillet; stir to combine. Cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and salt. Cook 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted, stirring.