|Add ingredients to “My Shopping List”|
- 4 thin slices red onion, separated into rings
- 2 large button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large scallion (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. peanut oil
- 4 oz. tempeh, chopped
- 3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 8 oz. fresh spinach, stemmed, rinsed well, dried and coarsely torn (8 cups)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 medium cloves garlic, halved lengthwise
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- In small saucepan, combine vegetable oil and garlic. Bring to a simmer over medium heat (oil should bubble gently) and cook until garlic is tender but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in oregano and let stand 30 minutes to blend flavors.
- Meanwhile, in large salad bowl, combine spinach, onion rings, mushrooms and scallion. Set aside.
- In medium skillet, heat peanut oil over medium-high heat. Add tempeh and cook, stirring often and shaking pan, until lightly browned and crisp, 7 to 10 minutes.
- While tempeh is cooking, strain flavored oil through fine sieve; set aside. Transfer cooked garlic to cutting board. Holding blade of large, heavy knife parallel to board, smear garlic over board, then chop to a paste.
- Transfer cooked tempeh to bowl. In same warm skillet, combine 2 tablespoons reserved flavored oil, garlic paste, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then pour over salad. Add crisped tempeh, toss well and serve.