I’ve been eying this recipe since I got this month’s Whole Living magazine, but the health food store in the ‘burbs near me didn’t have any red lentils. Whole Foods to the rescue! I also picked up one of my favorite chocolate bars. I’ve talked about them before, but the Lake Champlain Organic Dark Spicy Aztec Chocolate Bar is an addiction. It satisfies my spicy palate, it calms my sweet tooth, and at 200 calories for a (small) bar, I don’t feel guilty indulging.
With a full belly, I’m now enjoying Glee, my chocolate, and blogging. (Yes, I watch Glee. )
Stewed Lentils with Soy Yogurt and Green Chilies
Veganized from the original recipe “Stewed Lentils with yogurt, cucumbers, and green chilies” in Whole Living‘s October 2010 issue
For the lentils:
1 tsp. whole cumin seeds
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup diced onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1 tsp. ground turmeric
5 cups water
2 cups red lentils
For the garnish: (I made it for one)
1/8 cup diced onion
1 serrano chili, minced
1/8 cup cilantro, minced, plus whole leaf for serving
1 tsp white vinegar
1 cup cooked brown basmati rice
2 tbsp soy yogurt (I used Whole Soy Apricot-Mango since that is all I had. It was awesome, but I’m not opposed to adding fruit to a savory dish!)
1. Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Toast cumin seeds until fragrant, about 1 minute, swirling pan. Set aside.
2. Heat oil and add onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring, until onions are tender, about 6 minutes.
3. Add turmeric and toasted cumin seeds. Cook 1 minute.
4. Add water and lentils. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and partially cover. Cook until lentils are tender and mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. Season with 2-3 tsp of sea salt, to taste.
5. Meanwhile, prepare garnish: Combine onion, chile, cilantro and vinegar. Season with salt.
6. To serve, ladle lentils over rice; top with soy yogurt and garnish mixture. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves.
Nutritional information per serving:
652 calories: 2 g saturated fat; 8 g unsaturated fat; 3 mg cholesterol; 109 g carb; 24 mg sodium; 36 g protein